Friday, July 25, 2008

Spartanburg SC to Pensacola FL

498 miles today. 8997 miles trip total. Georgia, Alabama, and Florida are #41, #42, #43
Today was fast driving, nearly all of it on Interstate highways. We came around Atlanta, down to Montgomery, then south to Florida. Another day of hectic traffic traveling 10-20 miles over the speed limit lots of the time. Visited my college friend, Erik, in Atlanta and had lunch there. It was a great chance for me to have some of my always-amazing stories from college days corroborated by Erik. Realize, he and I did NOT rehearse these stories before Julie had a chance to hear Erik's version of each of them. I'm satisfied that Julie now fully realizes that I always tell the truth and that all amazing adventures of bicycling and sailing from my college days are, essentially, completely true. It's great to visit with friends from the past.

This evening we waded in the waters of the Gulf. So, we feel like we've completed the water border by touching the Pacific, Great Lakes, Atlantic, and now the Gulf. Tomorrow we'll see the Gulf coast as we drive over to New Orleans then turn right and point north. We're starting to feel that homing instinct, the eagerness to see home again and sleep in our beds.

No comments: