Friday, July 25, 2008

Skyline Drive to Spartanburg SC

We motored 470 miles on Thursday and added states 39 and 40 to our tally. We're at 8699 miles on the total trip.
We really enjoyed the Skyline Drive. Beautiful vistas and a great chance to see some impressive Eastern mountains. Weather was gorgeous with morning temperatures in the 60s. Mark pulled out the Brompton folding bicycle and rode for a half hour in the mountain air. What a treat. Bearnadette rode on my handlebars! She insists on telling you more about that herself. We drove a shorter distance on the Parkway than we would have liked but time is a precious commodity and our allotment for this journey is dwindling so we had to prioritize making some distance. We hopped over to I-81 and adoptex high speed travel. Alas, as much as I really wanted to crest Mt. Mitchell along the Blue Ridge Parkway, we also had to drop that from our itinerary. Ironically, our impression was that traffic all day along the various Interstates was crazier than anyplace else we've encountered. Certainly matched whatever we experienced in Connecticut or New York or California with impatient, tailgating, bothersome and sometime belligerent drivers. - Mark
Bearnadette here: You guys just wouldn't believe what it feels like to have the wind fluff your fur! I was so excited to look for real live bear along the Skyline Drive that I convinced Mark it was fine to ride on his handlebars, snuggled in behind the cables so I was secure. I kept a close look to the left and right all the time hoping to catch a glimpse of an Ursa cousin. I'm disappointed that I didn't spot any bears, but my first bike ride was a riot anyway. Now I understand better why Mark always wants to get the bicycle out of the trunk and take a ride.

No comments: