Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pensacola FL to Winona MS

457 miles today.

Mark: Went for morning ride and finished up carrying my bicycle and walking along the beach on the brackish water bay where the Potters live. (Not Harry's family) Left Pensacola at 9am. It is so difficult to leave blueberry waffles and good hosts. THANKS again! Julie and I set our our first priority as visiting another National Park at the Gulf Islands National Seashore. Then, we took short swim in the Gulf of Mexico. That completes the water circle of the country. This was our warmest water entry yet on this grand circuit! Alas, it was time to leave the beach and point our way north. We'd already made our decision to bypass New Orleans and also the Natchez Trace. Traffic moved pretty slowly at some places. Then, we really got slowed down a few times with some of those incredible big southern raindrops that brings down huge volumes of water in very short time. And even the fastest, most reckless drivers slow down. We crawled along a few times with water inches deep and visibility dropping to only a few car lengths. I told Julie that I've gotten caught in such rains in Florida while bicycling and it is PAINFUL! We did invest time to travel a 20 mile section of the the coast in the Gulfport area. The aftermath of Katrina is still powerfully visible. What made our immersion experience to view the aftermath even more deep was, well, the water. Thunderstorms, lightning scary close, thunder rocking the car and scaring Bearnadette. Surreal. For a short while I was watching especially closely for any tornadoes because the sky was so dark. I felt like I had at least a tiny hint of what that coast was like when Katrina made her visit.
Onward, onward. We drove on north and are now overnighting at Winona, MS, which is south of Memphis. We're give an update in the morning about our departure time and we'll strive to get a few updates posted through the morning so that people can have an idea of when we're likely to next see our home bridge and home city.
I'm having those emotions that I always have at the end of a great journey. I don't want it to end and yet I'm so eager to be back home. I just love the rhythm of travel and the unknowns and the discoveries. So, I wish it could go on. Yet, I long to be home. This experience shared with Julie, and shared with so many of you, has been awesome. -- Mark

BENZ here: It has been so many years since I've had a chance to crank out the kilometers like I've been able to do on this trip. The balanced driveshaft (thanks again, DLS Portland!) and new steering coupling have made me feel young again. It can't be nearing the completion, can it?! I told these humans I was ready to make this trip and that I'd serve them well. This has exceeded all expectations as a fantastic adventure. Mark, Julie, and Bearnadette have been superb traveling companions. And really now, how many automobiles ever get to visit all 48 states lower states plus the District? I've earned bragging rights! Yes indeed, we have let the good times roll.

Bearnadette here: Wow, what a storm today! I was shivering with fright inside my sweater. But once the thunder and lightning ended, I loved the cooler temperatures. It was a nice break from the postage stamp weather we've had! I'm sad that the end of the trip is near. We've been to four national parks but I haven't seen any wild bears yet! But on the other paw, it'll be great to get home and sleep in. I ended hibernation early for the trip. It's almost too much for a bear to bear, but this adventure has easily been worth the few days of sleep I missed.

Julie: Jim Croce has been one of Dad's and my favorite albums to listen to on our trip. So as it began to rain in Alabama, we both wanted to go walking in the Alabama rain. Stopped in Spanish Fort AL, went for a quick walk, then went inside a Starbucks. As Dad ordered his coffee we told the workers about our trip. Everyone there was very interested with our story and admired the Benz. Augie, one of the workers, even gave Dad his cup of coffee for free. Thank you for the fun, Starbucks crew! Even though I don't drink coffee, I really enjoy going to coffee shops because so often I find that the workers are super friendly and fun. Today proved the point yet again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting story you have there. Hope your stay in Winona, MS was lovely.

Missy.
Woody's Old Town Grill.com